Monday, October 5, 2015

First post! ...what am I doing here?


What am I doing here?

The course of events that led up to me starting this garden blog:
  1. Listening to my new "The Happiness Project" audiobook, wherein she suggests writing a blog and how doing that one thing every day about something she was passionate about (in the author's case, her happiness project)
  2. Remembering how easy and happy I was to write the one blog post I actually involved myself in with the USIP project
  3. Trying to decide what I was most happy about (hint: I thought and still think it is fitness and self improvement)
  4. Starting a blog for what I wanted to call "My Xena Project" where I wanted to strive and compare myself to the TV Greek character
  5. Deciding I wasn't ready to put myself out there that much
  6. Deciding it would be easier to blog about something concrete like my plants that would involve photos any way
  7. Renaming and re-purposing the blog
  8. Then RE-REnaming to be my garden/yoga/exercise/food blog. I'll have a section for each.

I don't have a complete form for how I want these posts to come out, but I know that I want to do something daily. So I think a daily check up, focusing on new details each day.


Garden:

Right now I've got six plants:
  1. Golden pothos (white pot "Pathos") 
  2. Golden pothos (brown pot "Ethos")
  3. Red headed Coleus
  4. Grape vine
  5. Mini yellow roses
  6. Basil plants
I want to focus first of all on the issues I have with my current plants. I want to get these poor plants in good healthy shape before I expand any more, or begin on a garden plot in our little home.
Namely: the diseases on Pathos and Ethos, and the bugs on the grape vine.
I plan to mix and spray the grape vine today.
I plan to go to Home Depot soon and get an antibacterial AND antifungal spray.



Yoga/Exercise: 

Planning to go on a best friend bike ride! We currently ride about 6 miles. From the north of Newcastle all the way to the South end. If we can do this for another week, then I will probably have us extend it some way. Maybe down the end of Braeswood?

Tomorrow will be swimming for exercise. My first meeting of the Central Swim Club! I think it's a chapter of the US Masters swim... Either way, I'm excited to go. It will be right after my volunteering at that Middle School.

Tonight I want to do five sun salutations before bed, and throw in some spontaneous restorative poses.



Diet:

Today I've had:
No ionix
Strawberry shake
Crunch bar fun size
BK apple salad
Chicken fries
Reese's PB pumpkin
Canned pears
Canned mandarin oranges

I color coded the list for green good, orange caution, red "I know I shouldn't have"
I plan to do the pre-work out stuff before the bike, the post, and only a dinner shake if I feel hungry at the evening. Going to try to keep it down.

I am currently going through the Isagenix program for at least a month. I haven't bought fully into it, but I like the energy so far, and it's a well defined plan, so I can get behind that.
This past weekend was not a great weeked in dietary discipline. McDonald's for lunch, hotdogs and hamburgers for dinner, and s'mores galore. Whole box of oreos downed over two days.

What's most curious to me about my "indulgent eating" is that it never feels very indulgent. I'm not normally happy afterwards. I don't normally get a noticeable spike of happiness while I'm eating them. I don't even feel like I'm treating myself. I do at the beginning; I anticipate how great it will taste and feel to let myself have the thing that is not good for me.

Summary

This seems like a good start. I am a little worried that I will focus more on logging and writing then I do on the actual doing. But, we'll see.
Oh: I also want a photo of something for each section.




No comments:

Post a Comment